General questions about the whole process

Is it free to apply to your program?

You can apply for free. You have to complete your entire profile (uploaded Resume, information about the localisation you wish, the length, your experiences, etc.). Once completed, our team will set up an interview with you to discuss about your project and answer the questions you may have.

When do I pay the fees of 1499 Euros?

You pays the 1499€ fees when you accept an offer from a company. You won't have to pay anything before an job offer is secured. You cannot pay the 1499€ several times: you have to pay the total amount in one time.

What does the 1499 euros fee cover?

These fees cover the following: Salary negotiation, Guarantee that the company is eligible to the visa J-1, Guarantee that your profile matches the criteria imposed by the US Government of States, Negotiation of the contract terms, Drafting the mandatory training plan, Visa & relocation assistance, 24/7 help during your stay in the US. For further information, please see our page "les étapes"/"stages".

When can I register to your program?

You can register anytime by completing the Expatriation Form on the website. Do not forget to indicate the length you are available. 

Do I need a valid passport to start the process?

You don't need a Passport to start the process on our website; you can register at the same time as renewing or applying for a Passport. However, you will need it for the visa application. Be careful that your Passport covers the entire length of the mission you apply for. Its validity must be at least 6 months after the end of your mission in the United States. For more information, you can visit the US Embassy in France website. 

What is the difference between Intern and Trainee?

Intern: When you are still at school or graduated less than one year, 

Trainee: When Graduated for one year or more, with at least 1 year of related professional experience

What are the main conditions for me to qualify for the program ?

Have a Degree outside The United States or be studying for a post degree diploma

Hold a European Passport 

Have a minimum budget to travel to the US

Have the budget for our Agency fees and for the Visa fees when needed

Have a good level of English

Be available for at least 6 months (12 month availability highly recommended as our companies are looking for long term missions)

How can I know if I am eligible to the J-1 visa?

We assess your profile and interview you. You must be have a degree and be studying. Also, the company you are applying for must be in the same field of your studies/profesionnal experiences.

What is the recommended duration of the program?

We recommend applying for the maximum time of the Visa, to have the best experience.

12 months when you are an Intern, 18 months when you are Trainee

Do I need a school agreement (convention de stage) to go to the US with your program?

You don't need a school agreement, the visa J-1 is the agreement for you to go to the US.

You don’t need to be a student. The program is open to student and non-student. 

How long does it take for Intern Abroad to find an internship?

It depends on your qualifications and experience. Usually it happens within 2–3 weeks if you respond to our customers need.

Are the internships paid or unpaid?

The internships are paid, but the amount varies by industry and employer. We guaranty a minimum of $1000 monthly and this amount can be negotiated with the company, depending on your profile and experience.

Do I have to pay taxes on my salary?

You pay minimal taxes (City and Federal) that you get back at the end of your internship by filing a tax return.

Can I contact my employer directly for questions I might have?

Intern abroad remains your contact for any question you may have. The only contact with the employer will be during the interview and when you booked your flight and know your date of arrival (if you both agree to work together).

What if my internship does not work, could another placement be made?

It depends on each case. If it is necessary, we will do our best to find you another placement.

When do I have to pay the fees? And how?

Fees are paid when you have agreed to an internship that Intern Abroad provides, by wire transfer.

When should I book my flight ticket?

You can book your flight ticket only when you have an appointment at the US Embassy secured and that you have checked with our team or with the sponsor that everything is good. Do NOT book any flight if you are not sure of your appointment at the US Embassy.

Does Intern Abroad assist me in finding housing?

We can give you some tips and useful addresses/websites. However, we are not responsible to find one. You can also ask the company you are going to work with for some tips.

How do I apply for mandatory insurance?

You will pay it through the Sponsor Agency. You can ask them the details of the cover but as a candidate, you don't choose your insurance, neither your sponsor. This insurance is included with the J-1 visa and your company decides or can be used to work with some Sponsoring Agencies.  

Visa procedure

Can I apply for a visa through Intern Abroad if I already found an internship by myself?

Yes, of course! We have visa services only. Please contact leslied@internabroadusa.com to schedule an appointment and to check the eligibility of both you and the company.

Does Intern Abroad help coordinate every document and appointment between the employer, visa sponsor, Embassy and myself?

Yes, we will do our best to speed up the process and help you throughout the process.

How long does the visa procedure take?

If you have a valid Passport and all the necessary documents, it can take a month and a half, including the Sponsor and Embassy timing.

When should I schedule my appointment at the Embassy?

Once the sponsor has approved your application, you can schedule an appointment at the Embassy.

How do I fill out my J-1 visa application with the sponsor?

  • You will be asked different dates for the program: Dates of arrival & departure (1) and dates of internship (2):
  • (1) Can be 30 days prior and 30 days after the dates of internships. 
  • (2) Indicate realistic date, the ones you discuss with the employer

What are the Durations of each J-1 visas and the possibility of renewal ?

  • You qualify for ‘Intern’ if you are still a student or graduated in the last 12 months
  • As an intern the length of the visa is for a maximum period of 12 months and can be renewed as many times as you wish with a 3 months gap in between.
  • You qualify for ‘Trainee’ if you graduated more than a year ago and have at least one year experience in a related field outside the U.S.
  • As a trainee the length of the visa is for a maximum period of 18 months and can be renewed as many times as you wish with a 2 years gap in between. 

What is a DS-7002?

It is a contract between you, the employer and the sponsor with your Training plan. DS-7002 is prior to DS-2019, Intern Abroad makes sure your employer fills out these forms. These documents are mandatory to get your J-1 visa on your Passport.

Can I email my application to Intern Abroad in order to make sure everything is filed accordingly?

Yes, of course.

What is the 2 years rule written on my visa?

This rule means that you cannot apply for any other visa for 2 years after the end date of your internship and is applicable to students who receive an educational sponsorship by the government. Your visa will state if the 2 year rule applies to you or not. 

Once you arrived in the US

What do I need to do when I arrive in the US?

You must notify your sponsor that you have arrived in the US and that you have started your internship, as well as your address (even if temporary) in the United States. This must be done within the 20 days following your official program start date (the date mentioned in Section 3 of the DS-2019). 

How to I register to Social Security? 


To find the nearest office (we recommend to go first hour in the morning, no appointment needed), please go on the following website:


But Before going read carefully :

American law requires you to follow the administrative steps to register for Social Security. This steps will allow you to live administratively in the United States and to be able, among other things, to be paid or to open a bank account. Often, your employer can help you with the process. Social Security registration is mandatory.

You must go, in person, to the nearest Social Security office with the following documents:

  • "Dear Social Security Officer" letter. You may download the letter here http://www.ciee.org/intern/preparation/ssn.aspx  if you are participating in the INTERNSHIP or PCT USA programs.
  • Passport with your J-1 visa inside
  • I-94 form (you can print it from the following website www.cbp.gov/i94)
  • DS-2019 and SEVIS receipt (I-901)

Remember to ask for a receipt so you can start working without having to wait for your Social Security card. The delays in obtaining your Social Security Number vary (up to 8 weeks) depending on the office or city where you made the request.

The Social Security Number and card are given for life. If you already have one, you do not need to ask for a new one.

The Social Security Administration website: www.ssa.gov


- Can I contact you if I have questions during my stay in the US?

Yes, of course, please contact us at : info@lejob.us